High quality heat treatment is a necessity to achieve full potential of the tooling material. It improves resistance against common failure mechanisms and increases overall performance. For your benefit, we are committed to supporting you with the most appropriate heat treatment service.
Our tool steels are normally delivered in the soft annealed condition, to make it easier for tool makers to machine. The tool steel can then easily be heat treated according to the tool user’s specific needs. Uddeholm can support you with heat treatment services such as soft annealing, stress relieving, hardening and tempering.
Heat treatment services are provided in our own facilities or through exclusive partners. Our service offer may differ between markets.
ThermoniteSM (Gaseous Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing and Nitriding) is a Nitro-carburizing surface treatment used for the needs of hot work and cold work tool manufacturers. This low temperature process creates a minimal risk of distortion or loss of important engineering properties. The process is carried out in a state of the art, automated vacuum sealed electric furnace, with minimal operator intervention which provides excellent repeatability.
Thermonite is used for:
- Abrasive and erosive wear solutions
- High surface hardness
- Increased resistance to thermal fatigue
- Surface Lubricity
- Higher Contact Fatigue Strength in Machine Parts Applications
- Increased Resistance to Atmospheric Corrosion
CyrothermSM treatments involve a controlled sequence of repeated heating and cooling to cryogenic temperatures. This process enhances tool performance in terms of higher fatigue strength, wear resistance, hardness and dimensional stability.
Cryotherm treatment is used for:
- Dimensional stability
- Higher fatigue strength
- Increased wear resistance
- Resistance to Indentation
The ThermoxTM process produces a stable thin layer of oxide on the surface of a component. This oxidation process is used to provide a component with increased corrosion resistance, better wear resistance, increased surface hardness, an attractive surface finish, and in cases of porous materials – it seals the part porosity.
Thermox is used for:
- Increased corrosion resistance
- Better wear resistance
- Increased surface hardness
- Attractive surface finish
- Sealing of porous materials
Our Metallurgical Laboratory offers a wide range of services such as technical support to the tooling industry, failure analysis, inspection of material and certification to customers and industry standards.
Our services include:
- Failure analysis of machine components/ tools
- Corrosion analysis and prevention
- Metallurgical materials testing and evaluation
- Contract based production process failure investigation and problem resolution
- Surface enhancement through coatings
- Material selection and process specifications
- Metallographic examination (micro and macrostructure)
- Fracture examination by optical and SEM microscope
- Mechanical properties testing
- Hardness testing
- SEM, EDS and XRD analysis
- Chemical analysis/ material grade confirmation
- Case depth, micro-hardness and surface studies
- Non-destructive testing
Although many types of steel can be difficult to weld, we recognize that the need for tool steel welding often arises. Tool steel welding is common amongst expensive tooling like die-casting dies, large forging dies, plastic moulds, car body dies and blanking tools.
Welding of tooling:
- Refurbishment and repair of cracked or worn rooling
- Restoration of chipped or worn cutting edges
- Adjustment of machining errors in tool making
- Design changes
At Uddeholm, providing heat treatment and metallurgical services that satisy our customer’s individual needs and certification requirements is essential. We are certified to ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100C standards, and received Nadcap Accreditation in 2011.
- Part Submission / Process Approval Documentation
- Product and Customer Specific Certification
- Microstructure Exam Reports
- Detailed Hardness
- Test Reports Heat-charts
- Industry Specific Certification